Indoor Market in Saint-Mihiel
Located in the very heart of Saint-Mihiel, the covered market hall was built in 1902 on the exact site of another market hall, dating back to the 16th century. The 20th century building, which is the one we still know today, is a functional construction, developed to serve a very specific purpose. Nevertheless though, the beautiful Art Nouveau market hall, which was built following a competitive bidding process, ostentatiously displays the groundbreaking artistic forms associated with cultural modernity which emerged during the Belle Époque. The pillars are of cast iron, the supporting structure of rolled steel. Polychrome tiles with ornamental patterns that form geometric motifs and cascades of glazed ceramic fruits and vegetables are among the wonderful decorative elements. A fountain in front of the main facade adorns and enlivens the striking elegant building.