Wemmetsweiler rose garden
The Wemmetsweiler rose lovers association (“Verein der Rosenfreunde”) was created in 1925, work on the rose garden began one year later. Over the decades, the park-like terrain on the Michelsberg, high above the river Ill, has expanded bit by bit. The once open pavillion was transformed into a cozy little restaurant from which guests can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the gently undulating countryside, all the way to the Schaumberg. New flowerbed surface was added over the years, and today, the park consists of 1.500 sqm of roses, perennial plants, and bushes. In the 1930s, a lovely chapel was added. Renovated once since, the building still serves as a place of worship and contemplation. In the 1980s, the entire rose garden was spruced up and a miniature golf course was added. As opposed to many other public rose gardens, the Wemmetsweiler park is being cared for by volunteers: the rose lovers association and its friends have looked after their baby for 90 years.